Sunday, January 16, 2011

Flourish: Cabinet Style!

Hubby and I have been discussing adding some flair to the cabinets in various ways.  My first idea was to use the beadboard wallpaper inside the frame of each cabinet.  I was rolling with that idea until it got down to the knitty gritty.  I got skeerd!  I like the look of the bead board cabinets but I was concerned that:
(1) it would get old to me very fast
(2) it would be to country for my taste
(3) it would seriously date the house
(4) we'd limit "buyers" to our home when selling
So I opted out of that one.  I was actually thinking of putting some scrolly woodwork on a blank horizontal board just underneath the kitchen sink.  About that time Hubby suggested we add some wood work to the LARGE blank slate ABOVE the sink.  I had not told him I was thinking of this already so he is claiming fully that this WAS his idea.  And since this is the idea we went with and he's doing a lot of work here, then we'll say it's HIS!  =)  Once we got the area above the sink sanded, primed, and painted I set off to Lowe's to find the little gem we'd add.  I searched and searched until I found this:
I had been looking at some cheaper versions for around $7, but I knew that this was the one I wanted.  And really $25-ish was not a bad price to add some detail to a boring kitchen.  Hubby painted it and after some careful measurements he glued it up!
So here is the before (with the new paint):

And here is the area above the sink after the addition:

And here it is upclose just so you can see how much it really does stand out and make the space a little less boring:

We are pleased with the progress so far!  Next week I hope to post the entire cabinets painted!  Then we will be in for updating the sink and countertops soon!  =)  What do you think?  I've thought of using some stain or glaze just on this piece to make it stand out more.  But I'm not sure if I want to sand and glaze every cabinet.  Would it look weird just to glaze this piece or is it ok as is?  I'm undecided and would love to hear your opinion!  Let me know your thoughts!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love each and every comment!