Monday, June 7, 2010

Alabama Breakfast Cakes

The name of the post today was inspired by my brothers in law!


My first trip up North to meet the hubby's family I cooked some sausage crescent roll breakfast thingy's. They were lovingly dubbed Alabama Breakfast cakes. Since then the name has stuck. And I like it! =) This weekend we had all that I neede to make them (three ingredients). They are super easy and definately delish. I am not one to bake/make pretty food, but I like it to taste good =)

If you want to make some of these I will tell you how I do it!
You will need:
  • 1 roll of refrigerated sausage (I prefer Jimmy Dean Mild, but get the sausage you love!)
  • 2 cans of pillsbury crescent rolls (I use the low fat and it works great!)
  • 1-2 packages of cream cheese (Your choice. I use 1.5 because I like cream cheese. I also use the low fat. I found the fat free does not have the same consistency when baked).
Preheat the oven as directed on the crescent rolls. Brown your sausage and drain, I mean drain all the grease off (otherwise the rolls get soggy and gross). Combine drained sausage and desired amount of cream cheese in frying pan on low or medium heat. Not too hot or the cream cheese will burn. Cook these two together until the cream cheese is mixed in well with the sausage. I use two crescent rolls to make the rectangular shaped breakfast cakes. I've tried rolling them up like a normal crescent roll but I don't like the way the sausage and cream cheese hardens when exposed to the oven temps. So, I just open the crescent rolls, pull off 2 or a rectangle, add the sausage/cream cheese mixture and fold. I spray my pan with PAM to keep it from sticking. Cook as directed on the can of pillsbury crescent rolls. These are great for breakfast. I originally discovered these when I had a surgery and my best friend brought some over for me. Super sweet! I liked them so well I had to know how to make them! I've also substituted the sausage for chicken from a can and added diced onion. Just as easy and tasty but in a different way!
I will be linking this post up with the parties on my side bar that apply later in the week. =)
Hope you all are having a blessed day!



15 comments:

  1. We make these too, but we just make it like a casserole. Your's look much prettier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look yummy! The combo of all the tasty ingredients is great. I love the pic of the groomsmen. At my daughter's wedding she had 5 Air Force officers, they were brand new Academy graduates and they were downright gorgeous, just like your guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this sounds delicious! i'm starring it to make it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made these for dinner for my peeps and they love 'em! You can add anything to them - onions, mushrooms, etc. They are sooo good - cream cheese makes everything better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look very delicious! I always love new recipes! Thanks so much for sharing at Sweet Charli!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! This would make a great potluck brunch dish!

    Saw you at Tatertots and Jello.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too came from Tater Tots and Jello and these do look yummy. We have lots of company coming to town to stay over...Now I know what to serve for breakfast!

    Can you make them ahead? Or the filling ahead?

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's midnight here in tennessee.
    and i am craving them!
    delish. love it with cream cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! What a great idea. Thanks for sharing how to make them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband and I live in Texas, however, my husband is from Alabama. I'm going to make these, (not only because of the name but they also sound good)and tell him this is a little taste of home. :)
    Thanks for sharing.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look delicious! And since I'm from Alabama, I think I would know :) I will definitely be making these soon! Thank you so much for sharing!

    I'd love for you to visit my blog!
    theeclecticowl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds pretty tasty to me and being from AL as well, I'm kinda partial. Please come link up at our Fabulous Friday linky party on our blog! It closes Monday night.
    Heather @ www.savingmoneylivinglife.com

    ReplyDelete

I love each and every comment!